It can be hard for anyone with food allergies, celiac, or gluten sensitivity to find good wheat alternative foods and snack that taste really good. It can be even more of a challenge to find gluten-free food that kids like. Here is a list of some of our favorite mom & kid friendly gluten-free products. Some of them are also dairy and egg free too for those of you dealing with multiple allergies like myself.
1. Liz Lovely Vegan & Gluten-free Cookies– Wow! My sister introduced me to these and they are amazing! My favorite are the chocolate chip which (to me) taste like chocolate chip cookie dough. The chocolate fudge are a close second with their brownie-like flavor. These cookies are the BEST gluten-free cookies I have tried (and I’ve tried a whole lot). I love that they are vegan as well because they will work for anyone with a dairy or egg allergy. These cookies can be pricey at $2 per cookie ($3.99 for a pack of 2) but they are really BIG and thick and so good that they are worth it for a special treat. You can buy a case and save some money on these.
2. Betty Lou’s Gluten-free Fruit Bars– These bars have long been a favorite of mine and my kids. They are not only gluten-free but also free of the 8 top allergens including eggs and dairy. They come in different fruit flavors like cherry, strawberry and blueberry. These bars are high in fiber. They are not too sweet and make a filling snack. Check out Betty Lou’s other gluten-free items as well.
3. Pamela’s Products Baking & Pancake Mix– I love the light and fluffy pancakes that this mix makes. Yes, you can make your own mix and save a little money but in a pinch or wanting a sure thing, this mix will give you great results in recipes. I like to use it in brownies too.
4. Glutino Pretzels– Even my wheat eating kids like these pretzels. They often ask for them and say they are better than the “wheat-filled” kind. I like them because that are a quick snack that tastes good and they are kid friendly.
5. Chebe Bread– My whole family likes Chebe bread. The mix is quick to prepare or you can find frozen dough you just pop in the oven. Chebe is light and tastes so good! Try the pizza crust too!
6. Late July Organics Gluten-free Multi Grain Snack Chips– These chips are amazingly good! I especially like the Mild Green Mojo flavor. At Late July they do flavor well! These chips are not wimpily covered with seasoning, but rather doused in it.
7. Against the Grain Gourmet Baguettes– Miss eating a good baguette? These baguettes almost make me forget about wanting the real thing. They have a great crunchy texture on the outside and soft on the inside. They make an amazing sandwich! You can’t buy these online but look for them at Whole Foods and if you don’t see them ask them to order them for you!
Most of these things can be found in Amazon’s Gluten-free section as well if you are willing to buy them in bulk.
Have any other favorites? I’d love to hear yours!